Freedom to Thrive is hiring!
At Freedom To Thrive we are actively working to create a world where safety means investment in people & planet and to end the punishment-based criminal and immigration systems. We understand that those who will join our team are from the very communities most impacted by criminalization, which is why we have a commitment to support the healing and liberation journey of each member of our team to become active participants in social change from within.
Our theory of change invests in the healing and leadership of communities most impacted by criminalization. And we believe that by engaging them in strategic campaigning and relationship-building across race and genders, is how we win. We convene campaigns for reinvestment and against criminalization, build movements that unite Black and brown communities, and offer healing justice training programs and mentorship towards liberation. We are organizing for a world where Black and brown communities are safe and can thrive, have resources to build from, and relationships rooted in mutual dignity. And we believe that we will win.
For us winning includes providing those same resources to our staff. One cannot take anyone somewhere they haven’t been. Therefore, we ask all staff to participate in our healing justice program, take advantage of our health and wellness package, and create self-care action plans as part of their job responsibilities. Self-care is imperative for organizers on the frontlines of social justice to do their own healing from intergenerational trauma, historical oppression, institutional racism and interpersonal violence. We are aware that our staff lives at the intersection of oppression, and comes to work with their own stories of resilience and trauma.
We have values that are important to us.
- Investing in Black leadership and Black liberation
- Supporting leadership of youth, women, and gender non-conforming people
- Generating collective healing and wellness
- Practicing transformative solutions to harm
- Caring for all of our communities
- Building in collaboration, not competition
- Practicing accountability to each other and our principles
The values mentioned above are staff agreements that ensure that healing with accountability is at the center of our personal and organizational development. Healing justice embodies sacred leadership. Our wellness package supports staff in integrating spirituality into their lives, the organization and the movements they create and are a part of.
All of our liberation, transformative and healing justice practices will bring in a new leadership that embodies joy and Black love, and a new way of engaging in our organizational systems and culture. It is our commitment that our staff and the communities we work for be able to pull on their joy, strengths and resiliency when the collective, the community and the organization face multiple forms of oppression and violence and use them to interrupt and dismantle capitalism, patriarchy and white supremacy.
Digital Organizer – Job Description
Mission: Freedom to Thrive creates leaderful movements that center healing, wellness & safety outside of policing. We convene spaces of shared learning & political education for youth, women, trans & non binary people, through a pro Black gender affirming lens.
Job Title: The Digital Organizer is lead for developing and planning digital messaging and campaign strategy to further the vision and implementation of Freedom to Thrive programs and projects in Oregon. We are seeking a strategic, detail-oriented organizer with a strong desire to innovate, experiment. The ideal candidate must be comfortable developing and planning digital campaign strategy and implementing a variety of digital organizing tactics.
- Implement digital strategies to build and maintain our presence across social media platforms and other mediums.
- Monitor engagement across digital channels and tools, and recommend future strategies to strengthen FTT’s messaging and advocacy.
- Develop list-building activities to deepen engagement and expand FTT’s online presence
- Develop and execute visual and editorial content for FTT’s social media platforms and website.
- Work with the Team to create, plan, and update website content.
- Coordinate with multiple staff to co-design digital tools for trainings and online programming
- Learn, maintain, and continuously improve FTT processes and systems for outreach and engagement.
- Stay on the pulse of industry technology and innovative tools,
- Collaborate on strategies for expanding and improving online engagement.
- Use social media engagement to connect social actions to advocacy campaigns.
- Represent Freedom to Thrive as needed with current and potential funders, participants, and allies
- Develop relationships and coordinate a network of partners in Portland
- Upkeep of administrative systems and database
- Participate in team meetings and planning sessions, as needed
- Team Support with:
- Facilitation for meetings and trainings
- program planning
- implementation of local events and national activities, as needed.
- developing relationships with potential coalition members, allies and endorsers
- coalition meetings, calls and work group meetings
- fundraising as needed
- Alignment with mission, vision, and goals of Freedom to Thrive, and a strong political commitment to social justice
- Must reside in Portland area
- A minimum of 3 years experience in digital organizing in social justice, community and/or distributed organizing contexts, preferably within local, state, and national models.
- Experience growing and managing digital membership base, digital communications, digital engagement, or digital marketing strategy.
- Effective writing, editing, and verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Experience and proficiency with using a variety of digital organizing tools, platforms, and content management systems and a willingness to learn new systems.
- Experience with Mac operating systems, Google Suite, and MS Office Suite (especially Excel and Word).
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Lived experiences a member of 1 or more of the following communities:
- Individuals who have been incarcerated or detained
- Differently abled
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends when needed
- Experience working collaboratively, as a thoughtful team member who acts in alignment with your integrity
- Ability to multitask, problem solve, manage time and work independently
- Ability to represent Freedom to Thrive in a variety of settings
- A commitment to engage in transformative practices as a tool to resolve conflict and further develop your role in the organization.
- A commitment to engage in healing justice and create a self-care action plan, integrating personal and organizational health and wellness services
We prioritize an organizational culture of wellness, healing and transformation, and work hard to maintain this through a shared commitment to trust-building work and principled struggle. We embody practices of communal accountability as a means to resolve tension and grievances, and provide safety for our team members. Although we do not require past experience in such practices, we do ask for prior consent in the form of an agreement to honor and support the continued development of these practices.
In an effort to embody our deepest values and Pro-Black principles as we support and care for our people, we offer benefits and policies that are specifically designed to meet the needs of the most vulnerable and also honor each of us as impacted individuals. We are offering a salary of $50,000 – $55,000 plus a robust benefits package, including time off, dental, life, health reimbursements and wellness benefits.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com